1. The ownership tax and any prior ownership tax. These figures are shown on your vehicle registration. The license fee portion of the renewal is not deductible.

  2. A Colorado title may be replaced if lost or destroyed and original title was processed after January 1, 1985 by bringing your registration to our office and completing an application for duplicate title. The person who appears as owner, an agent or lienholder must sign the application. The fee for a duplicate title is $8.20 and the title is sent to the owner from the Colorado Department of Revenue in approximately seven to ten days. 

    Note: if a lien exists, or has existed in the past eight years and is shown on the title, the title will be sent to the lienholder unless proof of lien release is submitted. If the record is current on the motor vehicle file a duplicate title may be printed the same day.

  3. To replace license plates, you must bring your registration and any remaining plate (for example, if only one plate in a set of two is lost, stolen, or damaged) to our office. The fee is $8.06 to replace regular plates and $59.92 to replace designer or specialty plates. In the case of a lost or stolen plate, notify a city, county or state law enforcement agency, and bring in a copy of the report to our office.

  4. Bring in a plate number and photo ID to obtain replacements. There will be a replacement fee of $.11 for month tabs and a $.17 fee for year tabs plus an additional $4.00.

  5. A duplicate registration may be obtained from our office for a fee of $4.00. Please have your license plate number and photo identification available when you come in for a duplicate registration.

  6. The title must be presented to our office to make a name change on a motor vehicle title. The owner(s) must sign off on the "seller" portion of the title in the manner the names appear on the title. Depending upon the title, notarization may be required. Then a new assignment is made on the "convey to" portion of the title showing the new name or names. There is a fee of $7.20 to record the name change. If a name change involved a court document (other than divorce) please bring a copy of that document.

  7. A change of address must be reported within ten days to the Clerk and Recorder's Office in the county where the new address is located. There is no fee to change your address. This can be done over the phone, through the mail, or online. The address change must also be reported to a driver's license bureau within ten days. To make a name change or a change of ownership on a vehicle when a lien exists, contact the lien holder.

  8. When the title is in the ownership of one person, and that person is deceased, a court order appointing a personal representative is required. The person appointed "personal representative" must then sign the title as seller. The court order must be presented, with the original death certificate and title, to our office to transfer the title to new ownership.

    When the title is in sole ownership, and the deceased owner's estate was under $65,000, an "affidavit for collection of personal property pursuant to the small estates proceeding" is required in addition to the title and the original death certificate must be presented at that time. Photocopies may be certified in our office. The original death certificate will be returned to you. This "small estates affidavit" is available from the County Clerk's office.

    To transfer a vehicle when it is titled in two names, but does not indicate "JTWROS" the following will be required:

    1. Certified letters testamentary or of administration, showing the same to be in full force and effect at time of transfer
    2. Title duly assigned by the personal representative


    1. Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property Pursuant to Small Estate Proceeding (Affidavit must always specifically describe the vehicle) This form must be notarized.
    2. Title properly assigned by the affiant
    3. Original death certificate, which will be returned to you. Photocopies can be certified in our office.

    To transfer a vehicle when it is titled in two names and "JTWROS" is on the face of the title, the following is required:

    1. Title duly assigned by the survivor.
    2. Original death certificate must be presented at that time. Photocopies may be certified in our office. The original death certificate will be returned to you.

    There are several different types of documents issued by the court which are used to effect title transfers for motor vehicles in cases where a death has occurred, so please call our office at (970) 498-7878 if you have any questions.

  9. Yes, you may register in any of the three branch offices, Fort Collins, Loveland or Estes Park. In Fort Collins you may visit our Citizen Information Center which is located directly across the hall from the Motor Vehicle department.

  10. No. You will need to check with the state where you had the vehicle registered previously for any refund information.

  11. The State of Colorado provides Drivers License information: Read More