When starting a business in Larimer County, you may need to interact with multiple departments to make sure your business is:

  • properly licensed (if your business deals with liquor, food, plants, animals, day care, schools, summer camps, septic systems or trash hauling),
  • operating in an area zoned for that type of business and
  • meeting state and local regulations.

Also, if your business is located within city limits, you’ll need to contact the city to learn about their requirements. 


  1. The only businesses required to have a county business license are liquor establishments and trash haulers.

    • Information about liquor licenses – (970) 498-7860.
    • If you need a trash haulers license, contact the Solid Waste Department – (970) 498-5760.

    There are state regulations around licensing for certain types of business. Many of these regulations are enforced at the county level or state licenses are issues by the county.

  2. You will need to register with the Colorado Secretary of State for a Trade Name.  The form and instructions for registration are on the Secretary of State’s website.

  3. The Larimer County Small Business Development Center offers web resources and expert advice for people starting businesses in Larimer County. They have offices in Fort Collins, Loveland and Estes Park.

    The Colorado U.S. Small Business Association District Office offers web resources and training for small business owners.