All complaints related to COVID-19 are handled by the Environmental Health Department. 

If you have a complaint, please complete the online form to submit your complaint.  COVID-19 Complaint form.  If you have any questions, please visit our COVID-19 web page for more information.


If this is a tenant/landlord dispute, we are unable to provide assistance in these matters as they are civil in nature.  There is a free legal clinic at the Fort Collins Old Town Library that may be able to offer some assistance on the 1st Friday of the month (2:00-3:30 PM).  There is limited space and it is a 1st come, 1st service basis with a paper sign up sheet. 

For more information about the free legal clinic, please call 970-221-6740. 

MOBILE HOME PARK OVERSIGHT PROGRAM:  Mobile home owners, mobile home park owners, and mobile home park managers can submit complaints for dispute resolution through the Department of Local Affairs, instead of taking issues to court, which can be costly.   Click here for the website.


  1. Call the Code Compliance staff on call (970-498-7683) to confirm whether the situation is a violation of County regulations. 
  2. Try to make contact with the responsible person.  Describe your perception of the problem and how it affects you,  Then discuss possible solutions. 
  3. If you cannot resolve the issue, submit a complaint to the Code Compliance Section.  (refer to the "How to Submit a Complaint" tab below)

Any County citizen may make a complaint alleging one or more code violations.  You may submit a written complaint:

Please call 970-480-0865 to file a complaint

Click on property search and input data.  

Click on question mark next to Tax District.  See below example.  

Example of Tax District

In most cases, yes. Code Compliance staff does not voluntarily release this information, but if asked, the information is subject to the Colorado Open Records Act. A complaint form is considered a public record subject to disclosure pursuant to state law.

It depends.   If the complaint involves a Land Use Code violation, or a violation of the Rubbish or,  Wildlife Protection, the complaint must be in written form per direction from the Board of County Commissioners.   The only exception to this statement is if the violation involves a life-safety issue or one that Code Compliance staff members determine has a significant impact on the public, nearby properties and/or the neighborhood.    Code Compliance Priority Ratings.pdf

You may also contact the Commissioner for your area to see if they would consider filing a complaint on your behalf.  It is suggested you reach out the Commissioner by phone.  You may also attend a Community Conversation or other community meeting to share your concerns with a Commissioner or staff.

If the complaint involves a violation of the Building Code(s), or the Graffiti Ordinance, it may be accepted on an anonymous basis due to the potential for life-safety issues associated with construction or gang/illegal activities.   However, a signed, written form is preferred.  

Your complaint will be acknowledged, generally within 24 business hours of receipt.   The complaint will be assigned to the appropriate Code Compliance staff member who will, depending on the  Code Compliance Priority Rating.pdf assigned, review records on file and begin an investigation.   If the basis of the complaint is determined to be justified, a Code Compliance case will be initiated and staff will work to bring the property into compliance via enforcement tools available.  

Complaints against Contractors can be filed with the Larimer County Building Department.

  • In person at our office located at 200 West Oak, Suite 300, Fort Collins
  • File Online

Contact Code Compliance

200 W. Oak Street, Suite 3100
Fort Collins, CO 80521
(970) 498-7683 or (970) 498-7700
Hours: 8am - 4:30pm, Monday - Friday
Department Directory