Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson

Business Hazardous Wastes

Entrance to our hazardous waste facility
Business customers must make an appointment to drop off waste at our hazardous waste collection facility, where our staff is happy to help you.

(970) 498-5771
(970) 498-5773 (to schedule an appointment)
(970) 498-5770 (24-hour information line)

What is the BHAPE program?

BHAPE is Larimer County's Business Hazardous Waste Assistance and Education Program. It provides a safe and affordable disposal/recycling option for Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG) in Larimer County. This voluntary program is fee based and operated at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility located at the Larimer County Landfill.

Who is eligible to use BHAPE?

Example of unacceptable business hazardous waste
These corroded drums of waste represent the quantity and type of waste that cannot be accepted through BHAPE.

To use BHAPE you must:

  1. Operate your business and generate hazardous waste in Larimer County
  2. Be classified as a CESQG (see below)
  3. Generate waste that is approved by BHAPE

Examples of businesses that participate in BHAPE include:

  1. Auto repair shops with cleaning solvents and used oil
  2. Woodworkers with solvents, varnish and stains
  3. Exterminators with pesticides and herbicides, etc.

BHAPE will assist any Larimer County business that fits the CESQG definition.

What is a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG)?

A CESQG is a business that is exempt from most state and federal hazardous waste disposal regulations, as long as it generates very small quantities of hazardous waste and ensures delivery of its waste to a facility that is permitted to receive it.

Specifically, a CESQG:

  1. Generates no more than 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds or 25 gallons) of hazardous waste in any calendar month
  2. Generates no more than 1 kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of acutely hazardous waste in any calendar month
  3. Never accumulates more than 1000 kilograms of hazardous waste on-site

How can BHAPE help Larimer County businesses?

  1. By saving businesses money when managing smaller quantities of hazardous waste
  2. By assuring proper disposal and recycling of business wastes
  3. By providing on-site assistance with waste identification and suggestions for waste minimization

How do businesses participate in BHAPE?

  1. Call the Larimer County Department of Solid Waste at 498-5773 to request an information packet. A field representative is available to provide free technical assistance. BHAPE Packet
  2. Schedule an appointment to deliver waste. (Waste will be accepted every Wednesday by appointment only. Call 498-5773 to schedule.)
  3. Deliver waste at scheduled time.
  4. Pay with cash, check, or credit card to Larimer County Solid Waste. (For current BHAPE fee schedule, please call 498-5773 or 498-5771.)

BHAPE PaintCare Information:

  1. Larimer County Solid Waste has a contract with PaintCare on the proper processing and recycling of unwanted paint. PaintCare is a non-profit product stewardship organization that works to make paint recycling of unwanted paint more convenient for states that have paint stewardship laws. With this partnership, Larimer County Solid Waste HHW now has an administrative processing paint fee for businesses that need to dispose of paint and are qualified for the BHAPE program.
  2. $0.25 per gallon based on container size or the $10 minimum fee, whichever is greater, is Larimer County's administrative processing fee on business paint and paint related products. Acceptable PaintCare products include latex paint, oil-based paint, and stains. See below for what products are and are not accepted within the PaintCare Program. Businesses must note that oil-based paint and stains are considered hazardous which means that having 18 to 20 gallons of this paint may be over the 220 pound per month limit to qualify for Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG). Also note, products that are not accepted within the PaintCare program do not qualify for the PaintCare administrative processing fee, but these products are accepted through the BHAPE program and standard pricing. See BHAPE Disposal Fees for appropriate pricing for products outside of the PaintCare Program.
  3. For more information on PaintCare, please visit

    Accepted within PaintCare Program Not Accepted within PaintCare Program
    Latex Paint (Interior & Exterior) Paint Thinners
    Alkyd Paint Mineral Spirits
    Oil-Based Paint Solvents
    Deck Coatings Aerosol Spray Cans
    Floor Paints Art / Craft Paint
    Primers Caulk
    Sealers Epoxies
    Concrete Sealers Glues
    Masonry Sealers Adhesives
    Wood Sealers Paint Additives
    Undercoats Paint Colorants
    Stains Paint Tints
    Shellacs (single component) Paint Resins
    Lacquers (single component) Wood Preservatives with Pesticides
    Varnishes (single component) Roof Patches
    Urethanes (single component) Asphalt Products
    Metal Coatings Tar Products
    Rust Preventatives Bitumen Based Products
    Lawn Paint 2 Component Coatings
    Deck Cleaners
    Road Marking Paints
    Industrial Maintenance Coatings
    OEM Paints
    Automotive Paints
    Grout Sealers

A Word About Fluorescent Bulbs

Did you know that fluorescent bulbs are considered hazardous waste? The bulbs contain mercury and should not be discarded with regular trash. But you can safely dispose of them through BHAPE.

For more information, visit the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's "Lighting Wastes" page.

Computers, electronics and the Universal Waste Rule

On July 31, 2001, electronic devices and components (such as, but not limited to, computer monitors, central processing units and printers) were added to the Universal Waste Rule, which was created by the federal government to assist businesses and agencies that handle certain frequently generated hazardous wastes. Other items that may be included under this rule are batteries, mercury-containing lighting wastes (such as fluorescent light bulbs), and aerosol cans.

If a business has electronics it no longer needs, the most practical choice is to recycle them as a universal waste rather than dispose of them. Disposal of these wastes is difficult to control because of their widespread use. The rule is intended to provide a set of reduced management standards that lessen the regulatory burden and encourage recycling for those wastes generated. Under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), if materials that are considered universal wastes are not managed under the Universal Waste Rule, then they are subject to full compliance with hazardous waste rules such as labeling, manifesting, training and time limits.

If you have wastes that can be declared universal wastes, guidelines for handling them can be found in the Colorado Hazardous Waste Regulations 6 CCR 1007-3 Part 273.

For complete details regarding these regulations as well as other useful information, access the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment's hazardous waste Web page. Or call the Larimer County Household Hazardous Waste Program at 498-5773 with questions.

BHAPE Participant Survey

For existing BHAPE customers, please take the following survey:

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.