Larimer County adopts fire restrictions on open fires and fireworks
Department: Board of County Commissioners
Release Date: Jul 11, 2017
Board of County Commissioners,  498-7010, firstname.lastname@example.org, Justin Whitesell, Emergency Operations Director for the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office,  498-5310, email@example.com
Larimer County, CO --- As of noon today, restrictions on open fires for the unincorporated portions of Larimer County go into effect. These restrictions stay in effect until midnight, August 22, 2017. Also in effect are restrictions on the use of fireworks, public firework displays and incendiary devices.
Due to hot, dry conditions, the danger of wildfire, forest and grass fires is high in Larimer County. Today’s restrictions were based on a recommendation from the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office and were unanimously approved by the Board of County Commissioners.
· No open fires, including camp or cooking fires
· Smoking in the open is not allowed, including trails, parks and open spaces
· No fireworks or firework displays
· No incendiary devices, including sky lanterns, exploding ammunition, exploding targets, and tracer ammunition
· No welding
· Contained open fires in permanently constructed stationary masonry or metal fireplaces specifically designed for the purpose of combustion
· The use of internal or external combustion engine with a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order and meeting published standards
· Fireplaces or wood stoves located inside permanent structures
· Fires in commercially operated wood and/or charcoal fired grills designed for cooking
· Charcoal fired grills when used at a private residence and location on a non-combustible surface of at least 10 feet in diameter
· Fires such as those in camp stoves and grills using gas or pressurized liquid
· Welding and other torch work within an enclosed building
· Outdoor welding and other torch work provided that:
o The area where the welding or other torch work is to be performed is free of vegetation for at least thirty feet in all directions
o Wind speed is less than 10 mph
o There is sufficient amount of fire suppressant immediately available to suppress any fire that may be started
· Fires in air curtain burners
The Sheriff may give limited exemptions from these restrictions based on his pre-approval and inspection.