Community at Work
(or unsubscribe) and receive notices of new Community at Work recordings in your e-mail inbox.
Community at Work is a weekly radio program on KRFC, 88.9 FM, that provides insight into issues that affect our communities by providing a closer look at the public agencies serving you.
This ½ hour show, Thursday evenings at 5:30 pm, is hosted by Larimer County, the Health District of Northern Larimer County, and the US Forest Service on a rotating basis. Larimer County's show is hosted by Community Information Manager Deni La Rue.
Each week, the host of Community at Work will interview guests about a topic that is relevant to our communities.
Awards for Community At Work
Community at Work received a 2007 Golden Microphone Award from KRFCfm for Outstanding Programming.
The National Association of County Information Officers, NACIO, awarded Community at Work a "Meritorious Award" in their Awards of Excellence 2005 competition.
Past and Future Larimer County Shows
- May 9, 2013 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Alison Stoven O'Connor, Larimer County/CSU Extension Horticulture Agent who is the Coordinator of the Master Gardener Program & Larimer County's Farmer’s Market. This is the 38th year for the Market which is held on Saturdays from 8am-Noon and runs May 18.-Oct.26 in Old Town Fort Collins at the Larimer County Courthouse Offices Bldg., parking lot, 200 W. Oak St. We'll hear about all things Farmer's Market!
- April 11, 2013 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with the County's Public Health Information Manager Jane Viste about all things public health. In addition to his being County Government month, we're celebrating Public Health Week. We'll hear about what services Larimer County's Department of Health and Environment provides to everyone in Larimer County!; current issues like terrestrial rabies; where public health funding comes from, and more.
- March 14, 2013 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with the County's Environmental Educator Rose Watson about the April 6th -10th Anniversary birthday party for the Garbage Garage, about this summer's upcoming Waste Ranger Camps.
- Feb. 14, 2013 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County’s Kori Wilford, Health Educator, and Jane Viste, Public Information Officer at the Dept. of Health & Environment. On this Valentines Day we talk about outreach and education on family planning, sexuality education in the schools, Protext Yourself! an anonymous sexual health texting service for teens and young adults so they can ask health educators and nursing staff questions about sexual health concerns. We’re also going to talk a little about how not to get too close during this season of flu and colds.
- January 10, 2013 - It has been 7 months since the High Park Fire destroyed 259 homes in Larimer County and burned over 87,000 acres of land. On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with the County's Recovery Manager Suzanne Bassinger about Larimer County's recovery efforts and where we stand on many post-fire issues.
- December 13, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County's Lynette McGowan, Caregiver Support Coordinator at the County's Office on Aging about the needs and issues that arise during family visits and the holidays. One of the programs Lynette coordinates is the Powerful Tools for Caregivers.
- November 8, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County Manager Linda Hoffmann and Budget Director Bob Keister about the proposed 2013 Larimer County Budget. Covered are topics such as: the 3-year glide path and why; total budget vs. operating budget; discretionary vs. earmarked dollars; and, what portion of your property tax stays with the county to pay for services.
- October 11, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County Manager Linda Hoffmann. She began the position on May 31, 2012, just 10 days before the High Park Fire began. Hoffmann previously served as Larimer County's Planning Division Director and as the County's Rural Land Use Center Director.
- September 13, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Jacque Miller, Extension Agent specializing in Family and Consumer Science about the annual Family Leadership Training Institute and other programs.
- August 9, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Bob Keister, Larimer County Budget Director, about 'All Things Budget!' The County's annual budget process is underway and the County is planning now for the jail sales tax expiration impact to begin in 2015. There are also impacts from the High Park Fire on the budget and those impacts are discussed as well.
- July 12, 2012 - It's time for the annual Larimer County Fair & Rodeo, August 3-7 at The Ranch in Loveland. On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Steve Humann of the Larimer County Fair Board and Ryan Young, Marketing Coordinator for the Budweiser Events Center about this year's Fair...what's new, what's coming back and more...
- June 14, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Don Sandoval from the Colorado Department of Local Affairs about Larimer County's High Park Fire Disaster Recovery Center, and to LC's Department of Health and Environment's Jane Viste about rabid skunks and High Park Fire air quality issues.
- May 10, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Alison Stoven O'Connor - Larimer County/CSU Extension Horticulture Agent who is the Coordinator of the Master Gardener Program & Larimer County's Farmers' Market. The Market, now in its 37th year, opens 5 weeks earlier this year on May 19 and runs through October in Old Town Fort Collins.
- April 12, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Rob Novak – LC Nat. Res. Education Program Coordinator & Zoe Wyman – City of FC Natural Areas Community Relations Manager about: PLUG INTO NATURE – the "Results" of a pilot program that looks at finding connections to the outdoors for youth and families in Larimer County.
- March 8, 2012 - On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with Scott Miller and Sarah Hach about two local poverty initiatives: Circles Larimer County, and Bridges Out of Poverty Northern Colorado.