Community at Work
and receive notices of new Community at Work recordings in your email inbox.
Community at Work is a weekly radio program on KRFC, 88.9 FM, that provides insight into issues that affect our communities by providing a closer look at the public agencies serving you.
This ½ hour show, Thursday evenings, 6-6:30 p.m., is hosted by Larimer County's Community Information Manager Deni La Rue, the Health District of Northern Larimer County, and the City of Fort Collins on a rotating basis.
Each week, the host of Community at Work will interview guests about a topic that is relevant to our communities.
Deni La Rue (left), Brian Hughes,
Executive Director of KRFC (right)
Awards for Community At Work
On July 13, 2014, Larimer County received a 2014 'Excellence' Award for Larimer County's Community at Work program in the 'podcasts' category from NACIO, the National Association of County Information Officers.
On March 8, 2014, the Colorado Broadcasters Association, CBA, awarded Deni La Rue a 1st place award for 'Best Talk Show Host', major market category, for Community at Work at KFRCfm, and a 2nd place place award for 'Public Affairs Program - KRFC/Community at Work'.
Community at Work received a 2007 Golden Microphone Award from KRFCfm for Outstanding Programming.
The National Association of County Information Officers, NACIO, awarded Community at Work a "Meritorious Award" in their Awards of Excellence 2005 competition.
Past and Future Larimer County Shows
- September 11, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with Jacob Castillo – Economic Development Manager & Enterprise Zone Administrator for the Larimer County Workforce Center and Adam Crowe Workforce Team Manager also at the Larimer County Workforce Center, about the upcoming Larimer County Workforce Symposium on September 30.
- August 14, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County Emergency Management Director Lori Hodges and Pat Mialy, Emergency Manager for the City of Loveland and Captain of the Loveland Fire Rescue Authority. The topic is ‘September: Emergency Preparedness Month.’ Topics covered include: What emergency managers do; Why this is important to the public; and, Top 5 things individuals or families can do to prepare for an emergency?
- July 10, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with Rob Novak, Community Relations Specialist & Zac Wiebe, Fund Development & Special Projects Specialist, both with the Dept. of Nat. Res. At LC. We’ll talk about the Open Lands Master Plan, the Open Space Sales Tax, Recent Awards for Our Lands – Our Future programs, and more regarding future land conservation and outdoor recreation priorities.
- June 12, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with Lori Hodges, Larimer County Director of Emergency Management & Recovery. Lori has been with the County less than a year and we’ll hear about: what her job entails, her past experience, overseeing flood recovery, the bigger picture of emergency mgmt. and what kinds of projects that involves, personal awareness and personal preparedness. Also joining the program are Emergency Management and Communcations interns Vanessa Vincente and Erin Mihlbachler.
- May 8, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with with Alison Stoven O'Connor, Larimer County/CSU Extension Horticulture Agent who is the Coordinator of the Master Gardener Program & Larimer County's Farmer’s Market. We'll also hear from Master Gardener Tony Koski. This year is the 39th year for the Market which takes place Saturdays, 8am-Noon, and runs May 17.-Oct.25 in Old Town Fort Collins at the Larimer County Courthouse Offices Bldg., parking lot, 200 W. Oak St.
- April 10, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, Larimer County’s Deni La Rue talks with the Larimer County Workforce Center’s Adam Crowe, Business Development Manager and Maureen Harter, Workforce Team Mgr., about job searching in today's economy and some of the workforce challenges Estes Park is having after the 2013 floods.
- March 13, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work - LC Community Information Manager Deni La Rue talks with Andrew Minor, Youth Employment Specialist , with the Larimer County Workforce Center about the Young Entrepreneurs Tournament, past and present, what is it and more. La Rue also talks with 2013 Youth Entrepreneur Tournament finalists Karris Bryant and Pranaya Sathe. Other information on employment opportunities is included.
- February 13, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work - LC Community Information Manager Deni La Rue talks with Jane Viste, PIO – Larimer County Health & Environment about the 'flu' situation in our region; and just in time for Valentine's Day we'll talk with Kori Wilford with Larimer County’s Dept. of Health about an upcoming parent/adult workshop on April 10 which includes a session on "how to talk with your kids about sex, focusing on raising sexually healthy adults in this age of technology, hook-up smart phone apps, texting, etc. We’ll also talk about Apps and Internet sites for teens that are helpful when it comes to sexual health information.
- January 9, 2014 – On this edition of Community at Work, LC Community Information Manager Deni La Rue talks with the County's Office on Aging Manager Lynda Meyer and Katy Mason of the Office on Aging about an upcoming forum for Veterans who are seniors and other programs and services available through the County’s Office on Aging – a program of Human Services in the Health and Human Services Division.
- December 12, 2013 – On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue takes a look back at Larimer County government in 2013 with Larimer County Assistant County Manager Neil Gluckman. Some of the issues they discuss are; Roberts Ranch, Larimer, Flood and Fire, the new Strategic Plan, Elections & Legislation outcomes, new people in official positions, the Red Team, Citizen Survey, LC101, County Innovation awards and more.
- November 14, 2013 – On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County’s Manager Linda Hoffmann and Budget Director Bob Keister about the 2014 Proposed Budget for Larimer County.
- October 31, 2013 – On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with Larimer County Commissioner Lew Gaiter III and LC Recovery Mgr. Suzanne Bassinger about long-term recovery from the Flood 2013.
- October 10, 2013 – On this edition of Community at Work, Deni La Rue talks with County Engineer Mark Peterson about Larimer County's Flood 2013 road recovery efforts.