County Offices and Courts will be closed on Monday, February 15, 2016 in observance of the President's Day Holiday. The Landfill will be open.
Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
Free Firewood Collection Program at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space
Free firewood is available for the 2015 collection program on Saturdays and Sundays of the following dates, weather permitting:
- October 10th, 11th, 17th and 18th
- 9:00 AM Saturdays and Sundays
Firewood collectors will be allowed to collect along Towers Road at Horsetooth Mountain Open Space. This wood is already cut in lengths from trees cut down during a forest health thinning project. Firewood collectors will not be allow to cut their own wood. Participants must be able to load their own wood and assist loading the trucks of all other persons in their group. Participants must sign up for available time slots. Reservations will only be taken through the link below. Only 12 trucks will be allowed during each day the program is conducted.
Participants must meet promptly at 9:00 AM and have a printed receipt of their signup. Gates to the firewood collection area will be closed and locked after participants enter, so it is important to be on time.
Participants will meet at the Soderberg Trailhead to Horsetooth Mountain Open Space for entrance to the wood collection area. The trailhead is located just beyond 3408 Minuteman Dr, which you can reach by going west of Fort Collins on County Road 38E to Inlet Bay on the west side of Horsetooth Reservoir, and then right on Shoreline Drive for 1.2 miles to the Soderberg Trailhead parking lot on the west side of the road.
- You may sign up for as many time slots as you like, but only one vehicle and one trip per time slot is permitted.
- If you are a "no show" you may be dropped from future dates.
- Each free firewood collection trip will be guided by an employee of Larimer County or a person designated by Larimer County. All instructions by this guide must be followed. Failure to follow the guide's instructions or failure to adhere to the requirements of the Free Firewood Collection Program may result in not being allowed to participate for that day, being asked to leave or being banned for the duration of the program.
- After an orientation all vehicles must be escorted by the guide from Soderberg Trail Head parking lot several miles up Horsetooth Mountain to a firewood collection area and back to Soderberg Trail Head parking lot. Anyone arriving after the group has left Soderberg Trail Head parking lot may not collect firewood that day.
- Each truck must provide at least one person capable of moving firewood bolts weighing up to 50 pounds and assist loading up to 11 other trucks. No truck will be allowed to leave until all trucks are loaded.
- The roads to the firewood collection areas are very steep, narrow, rough, and possibly slick and proceed along precipitous slopes that drop away for several hundred feet. Anyone unfamiliar with treacherous mountain driving should not attempt it. Anyone exhibiting careless or unsafe driving will not be allowed to continue.
- Only four-wheel drive vehicles in good operating condition with adequate tires will be allowed.
- Trucks must be no more than 7 feet wide and no more than 22 feet long.
- Firewood may not be loaded above the sides of the truck.
- Loads must be tied down.
- No chainsaws or other power equipment are permitted.
- Appropriate clothing for the existing weather, sunscreen and drinking water are advised. Closed toed footwear, long pants, long sleeved shirts and gloves are mandatory.
- No dogs are allowed.
- No children under the age of 14 are allowed.
- All participants must sign a Liability Waiver. Children between the ages of 14 and 18 must have a waiver signed by a parent.
- You may download a Liability Waiver from the link below or get one from the guide at Soderberg Trail Head.
**Appointments are contingent upon the weather. In the event of inclement weather or unsafe road conditions you will receive notification of cancellation via email at least two hours prior to the start time. Please check emails before leaving to collect firewood.**
***If you cannot make a reserved time slot please cancel by email as soon as possible (see link below-no phone calls please).*****
Stay tuned. Registration will begin soon.
Sign up for a time slot
Cancel a reserved time slot