Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson

Civil Union License Information

Recent legislation in Colorado has approved County Clerk and Recorders to begin issuing certificates and licenses for civil unions beginning May 1, 2013.

As of 3:00 p.m., October 6, 2014, the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder's Office will begin accepting marriage applications and issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

A civil union license can be obtained by visiting the Clerk and Recorder's office at any of our three locations after 8 a.m. on Wednesday, May 1, 2013. Both parties must be present (see below for information on how to apply if both parties cannot be present), and provide valid identification:

Acceptable ID includes:

  1. Birth Certificate
  2. Valid Driver's License (or temporary issued with voided previous license)
  3. Passport (both expired and valid)
  4. Valid state identification card (or temporary issued with voided previous ID)
  5. Military identification
  6. Alien Registration Card ("Green" card)
  7. Any government issued identification containing a photo, date of birth, issue date, and expiration date

Unacceptable ID includes:

  1. Matricula Consular cards
  2. Expired drivers licenses
  3. Voter registration cards
  4. Social security cards

Save time! Apply online before you visit our office

Be sure to fill out this form completely and click "Submit" at the end of the form to proceed. Once the online form is completed, the parties must finalize their application by visiting any of the following Clerk and Recorder's office locations and presenting valid identification.

Apply online

Please note: The Loveland and Estes Park locations serve as Motor Vehicle branch offices. Applying for a civil union license at these offices may mean longer wait times, especially on the first and last days of any month.

Our offices are located at:

Fort Collins

Clerk and Recorder's Office
Citizen Information Center
200 West Oak Street
Fort Collins, CO 80521
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.


Clerk and Recorder's Office
205 E 6th Street, 1st Floor
Loveland, CO 80537
Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Estes Park

Clerk and Recorder's Office
1601 Brodie Ave
Estes Park, CO 80517
Hours: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Phone: (970) 498-7860

Before the Civil Union

Prior to your ceremony, both parties must come to our office to complete and sign the license application. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete a civil union license absentee affidavit and sign it before a notary public, and include a copy of the non-appearing applicant's identification, before it can be accepted in our office. You do not have to be a Colorado resident to apply for a civil union license.

If either party has been married or party to a civil union previously, we require the date, place and type of court where the divorce/dissolution took place. Widows/widowers need to supply the date and place of death of their former spouse/partner. You will also need to provide the name of your previous spouse/partner.


A couple is prohibited from entering into a civil union when one of the parties is still married, or party to a civil union, with another person. Divorces/Dissolutions must be final. Civil unions are also prohibited between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood. A civil union between cousins is permitted in the State of Colorado.

Age Requirement

Civil unions are prohibited for anyone under the age of 18. If you are over the age of 18, and under legal guardianship, written consent of your guardian(s) must be obtained prior to the issuance of a civil union license. A signed and notarized Consent form must be submitted at the time of application.

Civil Union License Application Process

You may obtain a license at any one of the locations listed above during business hours. The cost of license is $30.00 and must be used within 35 days of issuance.

The Civil Union


Civil union licenses issued in the State of Colorado cannot be used in any other state or country. Couples themselves may certify their own civil union (C.R.S. 14-15-112). Others who can certify a civil union are judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials and clergy. Although the couple may certify their own civil union, that does not mean a friend or relative can sign as an officiant on a civil union certificate. Clergy or judges from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.


The person certifying the civil union shall complete the civil union certificate and return it to the County Clerk & Recorder within sixty-three days after the ceremony. Any person who fails to return the civil union certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder's office shall be required to pay a $20 late fee and an additional five dollar late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure to comply up to a maximum of $50.

Be sure the certificate is filled out entirely, including county, date of civil union, physical location of ceremony, the officiant signature, the officiant's title, and the signature of parties.

Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. If you choose to have a witness, there are no restrictions on the age of your witnesses. Feel free to have children sign!

After the Ceremony

Once the license has been returned to the Clerk and Recorder's office, it will be recorded and imaged by our Fort Collins office. The original license will be retained for 7-10 days for the recording process to be complete. If you haven't received your civil union license back from us within a month after it has been recorded with our office, please call (970) 498-7860 to inquire.

Obtaining Copies

You may obtain a certified copy of the license immediately upon its return to the Fort Collins office or within 3 days after the license is returned to one of our satellite offices. To obtain certified copies of your civil union license/certificate or application, please use the following procedures:

To request via mail:

  • Submit a written request to our office stating the following:
    • Full names of both parties
    • Date of ceremony
  • Provide a mailing address where we can return your copies
  • Include payment
    • Certified copies of the civil union license/certificate are $1.25 each
  • Mail your request to:
    Larimer County Clerk and Recorder
    Attn: Copies
    PO Box 1280
    Fort Collins, CO 80522

To request via phone:

  • Please call (970) 498-7860
    • Please note: Payments made via credit card or electronic check over the phone are subject to a third party administrative fee. Please contact our office for more details.

To request in person:

  • Please visit any one of our three office locations:
    • Fort Collins - 200 W. Oak Street, Suite 1000
    • Loveland - 205 E. 6th Street, 1st Floor
    • Estes Park - 1601 Brodie Avenue
Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.